WEB ACCESSIBILITY STATEMENTNew media technologies are always changing, but we are committed to making our websites accessible to people with visual, hearing or motor impairments. We endeavour to be in line with the Equality Act 2010 requirement, which is WCAG 1 AA compliance.
The accessibility guidelines we follow include:
• Allowing users to control text sizes.
• Using an easy to read font type.
• Ensuring suitable foreground and background colour contrast.
• Identify the primary natural language of a document, and using clear and simple grammar.
• Providing meaningful text equivalents for pictures.
• Providing simple, consistent site navigation.
• Ensuring the target of each link is clearly defined.
• Providing a sitemap.
• Providing navigational shortcuts for users of text only browsers and page readers. Included are Skip Links (RNIB tested) and WAI ARIA Landmark Roles (supported by JAWS 10, NVDA 2010.1 and Voice Over in iOS 4) • Using appropriate structural mark-up to maximise browser support.
• Using a logical tab order through links, form controls, and objects.
• Ensuring all content and functionality is available to users without content style sheet (CSS), image and script support.
• Including default, place-holding characters in edit boxes and text areas.
KEYBOARD NAVIGATION• Pressing the ‘Tab’ key on your keyboard will sequentially move focus through the elements on the web page you are viewing.
• After a page loads pressing the ‘Tab’ key twice will bring focus to the keyboard navigation short cuts or “Skip Links”. Press the ‘Enter’ key to move the focus to one of the optional locations on the page.
• Pressing 'Shift' and 'Tab' will move focus through the Tab Index in the reverse order.
• Press 'Enter' to use the link or button you are focused on.
• If you are focused in a text field, you will see the cursor inside it and you will immediately be able to start typing. If you are focussed on a select box (drop-down or list) use the up and down arrow keys to select an option then press the ‘Tab’ again to move out of the select box.
• If you are focused on a radio button press ‘Spacebar’ to select it. You can also use the keyboard left and right arrows to move between the options in a set of radio buttons.
• If you are focused on a checkbox press ‘Spacebar’ to select it.
TEXT SIZEThe size of the text on the site can be adjusted through your browser's settings. Internet Explorer Text size: from the 'View' menu in the browser select the 'Text Size' submenu and choose the size that you would like to change to. Firefox Text size: from the 'View' menu in the browser select the 'Text Size' submenu and choose whether to increase or decrease the text size.
ALTERNATIVE ZOOM IN/OUT KEYSThe size of the text on the site can be adjusted through your browser's settings. Internet Explorer Text size: from the 'View' menu in the browser select the 'Text Size' submenu and choose the size that you would like to change to. Firefox Text size: from the 'View' menu in the browser select the 'Text Size' submenu and choose whether to increase or decrease the text size.
• 'Ctrl' and '+' to Zoom In
• 'Ctrl' and '-' to Zoom out
• 'Ctrl' and '0' will reset the Zoom level to its default
CODE - MARKUP & STYLEWe use the HTML5 Doctype and test our markup against the W3C validator, to ensure that the markup is well formed. 100% valid code is not a goal, but validation certainly helps to write more maintainable sites as well as debugging code. We do not guarantee code is 100% valid, but instead assure the cross-browser experience is fairly consistent.We use CSS2 and CSS3 where appropriate, linked from external styles sheets to maintain the separation of structure and from style
BROWSER COMPATIBILITYThe site is tested on both PC and Mac and is fully functional in the following browsers:
• Internet Explorer 7 and above
• Firefox 3.6 and above
• Safari (latest version)
• Chrome (latest version)
The site will be functional in older browsers however it should be noted that presentational elements may not be fully rendered, and rendering may downgrade gracefully.